1. Thanks for your quick responses from our survey last week. We had 115 responses in total with the following results: Physical Education Specialist had 39 votes (34%), French Specialist had 35 votes (30%), Fine Arts Specialist had 30 votes (26%) and there were 11 others (10%). We have decided that we will begin the process of interviewing for a Physical Education Specialist that can also teach all the French to our Grade 4, 5 and 6 students.
2. Our staffing is not quite complete at this point for the next school year but we do have the following in place:
Kindergarten – Ms. Sharpe, Ms. Smith and Ms. Vilaysane
Grade 1 – Mrs. Barnaby and Ms. Squires
Grade 2 – Mrs. Gillespie, Mrs. Harcos, Ms. Luchynski (Ms. Gardner)
Grade 3 – Mrs. Bainbridge/Ms. Beck, Mrs. Los, Ms. Ryland
Grade 4 – Mrs. McElhinney, Mrs. Simmons, Ms. Matulionis/ Bohn (TBD)
Grade 5 – Ms. Hidalgo and Ms. Walker
Grade 6 – Ms. Green, Ms. Nixon
Music – Mrs. Michayluk
French – Mr. Potvin
ESL and Resource – Ms. Klatt
Administration – Mrs. Prevette and Mr. Toews
3. New This Year (2016-2017) Teachers will be making a phone call to welcome the students in their class. Expect this call the first three day that teachers are in (Aug 31, Sept 1, or Sept 2).
4. This year we received the Education Matters Grant that provided our school with money to support our Literacy program. Our School Council also provided matching money which together, provided a great deal of reading resources for our classrooms. Our students were so excited to see the new books and to read the stories with each other.
5. Great news!!! We had applied for a grant to support our Buddy Bench. We have been given $2500 but we need to match this. We will go ahead with the Bench and then have some fundraisers in the fall to support the rest of this grant. Thank you to everyone who has worked on this event!!
6. Summer Brain Camp – Alberta Reads - see the attachment.
7. New sleep information to consider for your child. Links:https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2016/06/18/the-sleep-children-and-teens-should-get.html
8. Register now for the YMCA Kids in Motion Summer Program! This is a free program for kids ages 9 - 12 and gives them the opportunity to volunteer in meaningful community projects in their neighbourhoods such as the food drive, community gardens, working with community organizations or older adults. As a reward for their work, the participants get to enjoy recreational activities they might not otherwise have the opportunity to do like swimming, outdoor activities and visits to local attractions. There are 2 sessions: July 5th - 28th and August 2nd - 25th on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM.
9. Have a great summer and remember to READ 8 Books!!
Reading Tip: READ 8 Books– we put a great deal of effort into improving our Reading scores this year and research suggests that in order not to lose ground over the summer that our children need to read 6 - 8 books at their level in order to not slip back in their skill development. The Public library has lists of grade level books for you to request when you visit there this summer!
Have a great summer!
Darren and Renée
Summer Brain Camp (pdf)