1. We would like to have all our wonderful volunteers come out to our “Volunteer Tea” on May 4 at 12:45. There will be lots of songs, and classroom presentations to entertain you as you eat the goodies and have some refreshment.
2. Kindergarten Orientation – For all our new Kindergarten families for the 2016-2017 school year, we are having our special orientation on Wednesday May 4 at 6:30. Our awesome Kindergarten team has created a new format for our families with a special package of take home items to get a head start with your child, so please make sure you come to see the changes in Kindergarten. There will also be a special draw with prizes!
3. May 1st starts the 30 X 30 Day Challenge – See the article written by David Suzuki with contributions from David Suzuki Foundation Senior Public Engagement Specialist Aryne Sheppard.
“For the most part, our brains didn’t evolve in cities. But in a few decades, almost 70 per cent of the world’s people will live in urban environments. Despite the prosperity we associate with cities, urbanization presents a major health challenge. Cities, with their accelerated pace of life, can be stressful. The results are seen in the brains and behaviour of those raised in cities or currently living in one.” See attachment for the rest of the article. Over the next month we encourage you to participate as a family in this 30 X30 Day Challenge with Wildwood School. Each class will be taking on, working outside with the students and also helping to tidy up the front of the school and the Wild Woods. Please be looking for requests from each class looking for volunteers to help with the work.
4. Mrs. Bakuska is looking for parent volunteers who are able to come in once a week to shelve books in our Library Learning Commons (1 hour or more per week). They must have a valid police security clearance. Please contact her if you love being around books and can help out at email@example.com.
5. WILDWOOD SCHOOL COUNCIL NEEDS YOU!! There are a number of opportunities to play a role on Wildwood School Council for the upcoming school year - 2016-2017. Many of our members are retiring from this role and we are so sad to see them go. Please come to our School Council meeting on May 16 at 6:30 to learn more about these roles and how you can support your child’s school.
6. May 4 is “Wear a Hat” to acknowledge Mental Health. We would like to change the day to Friday May 6, so we can heighten awareness and acknowledge this very important initiative.
7. One of our Grade 4 students (Ella Charron) is addressing the issue of Traffic Safety in Wildwood Community. Please check out the flyer that shows the importance of slowing down in our community!!! On May 27 she would like a bunch of children and grownups to help wave signs to calm traffic and slow it down.
8. Please see the attachment requesting support to help address questions and concerns regarding school start and end times. It has been noted that bell times have a significant impact on families, and that the impact is different for every family, based on work schedules, need for childcare, and number of schools their children attend and ability to drive or walk to school or bus.
9. Reading Tip: http://calgarylibrary.ca/browse_audience/browse-audience-kids/ This link will connect you to the Calgary Public Library and the Staff picks for great literature for children.
Have a great weekend!
Darren and Renée
30 x 30 day challenge article by David Suzuki
Wildwood School Council Needs You
Traffic Safety Infographic
Revised bell times letter