· The nerve sends information from the environment to your brain.
· The nerves interact with the spinal cord and the muscle too.
· Nerves in your finger have a fiber that sends electrical impulses to other cells.
· The funny bone is actually a nerve.
· If you damage your nerve and it is badly hurt it might not grow back.
· Some nerves are three feet long.
· Nerves are like telephone wires. They send information.
· Nerves interact with your spinal cord.
· Diseases also can damage the nerves, such as meningitis.
· Nerves impulses travel along the fibers at the speeds of 3 to 300 feet per second.
· All of your movements, sensations, thoughts and emotions are products of your nerve system.
· The cell body of a neuron is a ball structure about 1 to 1000 of an inch (.025 millimeter) wide.
· The impulse causes the muscle cells to contract and the leg to jerk.
· Nerves have fingers.
The nerve system carries information to the brain so that all of your senses can work. All of your pressure points on your body are really nerves. There are three kinds of nervous systems. The central nervous system is a main switchboard, which is in control of the entire nervous system. The brain and the spinal cord are the central nervous system.
The second kind of nervous system is called the peripheral nervous system. It is the messenger between the central nervous system and everything else. These are the telephone wires.
The third nervous system is the autonomic nervous system. It is in charge
of all the things that your body needs to do to survive. Breathing is automatic-
you don’t think about it, but is happens all the time you are alive.
There are two different types of nerves. Each nerve fiber carries signals in one direction. They carry messages throughout the body like telephone wires. If you did not have your nerves you could not do all of this tasting, smelling, seeing, hearing, thinking, dreaming, breathing, heart beating, moving, running, sleeping, laughing, singing, remembering, feeling pain or pleasure, painting, writing. A nerve contains several bundles of threads called nerve fibers. Some nerves are very short and some are three feet long.
A neuron is the main part of the nerves. A neuron is made up of three parts:
the cell body, the axon, and the dendrites. They are responsible for directing
the right information to the right place. For example, the motor neuron gives
information from the brain and spinal cord to the muscles. Sensory neurons
tell the brain and spinal cord what is changing in the environment.