Our next big EVENTS are/were:
• Welcome Pancake Breakfast -- Friday September 2, 2011, ~ 8:45 am - 9:30 am.
• "Shave A Lid for a Kid" Kids Cancer Care -- students raised over $13 000 for this cause in late June 2011! Twenty-one students "shaved their heads" for this cause -- donations still accepted
• Marion Carson's 40th Anniversary -- Sept 2009 September 2009 marked the 40th year of learning at Marion Carson School. On May 6th, 2010, we were Open to the Public to celebrate our school's 40th Anniversary. An Art Walk through various classrooms, displays of Great Canadian Events, old photos, a Div I Concert and even cake were part of our festivities. We look forward to the next 40 years of fantastic public education.
• "Trickster Theatre " -- Moments in Time. Our artist-in-residency has ended with a fantastic performance put on by all classes.
• "Carnaval" -- Mme. McClure and her grade 6 French Club hosted the adaptation of Quebec's "Carnaval" -- "Bonhomme" and his "Knuks" were on hand for the fun and festivities! Check out the official Quebec Carnaval web site.
• Science Fair Grade six students did a fantastic job on their science fair projects! A selection of students and their projects attended the Calgary Youth Science Fair representing Marion Carson in March at the Universtiy of Calgary. Students came back with medals and cash, well done everyone! Thiese kids know that ... Science is a verb!
• "Right To Play" -- For millions of children living in some of the worst conditions in the world, sport and play can help them to develop self-esteem, build confidence, learn tolerance, and give them hope for a better future. Our donations can make a difference. Right to Play can ensure that chilren have access to regular structured sport and play activties that help them to develop self esteem, a sense of belonging and become role models for other children. It doesn't take much to make a huge difference in a child's life. We collected money to help these children in conjuction with some of Canada's top Olympic Atheletes! Also, we had Martin Parnell join us for our Winter Walk. He made his goal of running 250 marathons in 2010 and to raise $250 000 for Right To Play. Marion Carson was his 30th marathon to date. Please check out his website: www.marathonquest250.com
• Pennies for Peace Due to our fundraising efforts here at Marion Carson, a certificate of appreciaton has been sent to us to acknowledge the difference we are making in schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan. Every little effort does help. Thanks again for a job well done students! Mrs. Marion Carson would be proud of your thoughtful deeds.
• Math Celebration Evening math muscles a little rusty? Check out these links to get you back into top performance.
• Dare to Care (Bullyproofing): Join the movement, become one of the caring majority.
• Going Out? Lights Out? Here are some environmentally conscious ways to reduce our "carbon footprint" on the Earth. Looking for other ways to help the environment, at home or work? Check out the Earth Day website.
• Marion Carson Accolades
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •