September 2001, the system principal of Aboriginal Education consulted
extensively with the Calgary Aboriginal community to determine how the
CBE could further meet the learning needs of the Aboriginal community.
The community consultations recommended:
- a strong
- a balance
of culture and language.
to technology within a quality environment.
- a family/community
At Piitoayis Family School we will strive to honour the Seven Sacred Teachings of our ancestors: wisdom, love, respect, bravery, honesty, humility and truth.
To create a respectful learning environment based on the balance of traditional cultural values and academic excellence. This holistic and meaningful approach will enhance pride and self-esteem, enabling our students to become successful, responsible lifelong learners.
Component - Circle of Life
to success of family school concept
to school for parents and families
for the youth
- Increase knowledge and practice of Aboriginal cultures.
- Promote and support the importance of education to families and students.
- Empower families through Aboriginal content and culture.
- Balance education and culture through a whole-person/whole-family approach.
- Community and agency involvement.
- Programming for parents and families.
Full-day kindergarten and Grades 1 to 6 are offered at our school.
Piitoayis Family School is especially suited for students who:
- demonstrate an interest in learning through Aboriginal cultures, languages, protocols and ceremonies
Students will learn the Alberta Learning Programs of Study through "the lens of First Nations, Métis and Inuit perspectives and experiences." This means that, when feasible and possible, Aboriginal knowledge will inform and guide the learning process. For example, as part of our Physical Education program, students may learn how to pow wow dance, which will also include learning about the history of Aboriginal dance and the protocols and ceremonies to ensure a holistic understanding.