Feb 2 No School-(Kinder only) Parent Conferences:
9am–12:15 (Kindergarten only)
1:15–3:15 (Kindergarten only)
4:30-8pm (Kindergarten- Gr. 6)
Book Fair: Castilla Books Feb 3 No School
Parent Conferences - 8:30am -12:30pm (Kindergarten –Gr. 6)
Book Fair: Castilla Books
Feb 10 Fun lunch
Feb 14 Gr. 2 Latin Restaurant (in school)
Feb 15 Friendship Assembly2pm Feb 16&17 Teachers’Convention NO CLASSES Feb 20 Family Day NO CLASSES
Feb 18 Calgary Opera
Feb 24 School Council Meeting
Feb 23 Gr. 5/6 Tour F. E. Osborne School
9 am to 12 pm
Feb 28 Gr. 2 Pilot presentation “Flight to Inuvik”10:45am
Feb 6- Artist in Residence
Mar 11 Puppetry Gr. K– 6
Feb 21,22&24 Alien Inline Rollerblading Gr 4-6
Welcome/Bienvenidos to W.O. Mitchell School
International Spanish Academy
W.O. Mitchell School Celebrates Flag Day
Students at W.O. Mitchell School recognized Flag Day on Wednesday, Feb. 15 in many different ways.
Staying in Touch – ¿Qué hay de nuevo? | Feb. 17, 2017
A reminder that there is no school tomorrow or Friday (Teacher’s Convention), or on Monday (Family Day). See you all on Tuesday, February 24!
1. Lottery: The lottery for kindergarten/new grade 1 student placements for the Spanish bilingual program was held today. Parents will receive official offers of placement next week. All siblings of current students, as well as students who live within the WO Mitchell Spanish bilingual walk zone can be accommodated for the year 2017-18.
2. Rollerblading: Grade 4-6 next week. If students have a helmet, they are asked to bring it. All other equipment will be provided (including a helmet if your child does not have one). As students will need to use the rollerblades and other safety equipment provided by Alien Inline Skating, extra change of socks might also be a good idea J. Please do not send any other rollerblading equipment, other than a helmet.
3. Grade 5/6 Students to FE Osborne: Our grade 5/6 students are invited to visit FE Osborne on Thursday, February 23rd. Fieldtrip notices went home today. There are no costs associated with this trip, as FEO is covering the cost of the bus as well as all activities at the school. Whether or not your child plans on going to FEO next year (or the following), it is hoped that they would go on this trip as it is a great ‘introduction to junior high’ experience.
4. Cinderella: Calgary Opera will be performing Cinderella at our school on Friday, Feb 24, starting at 2:00PM in our school gym. Please join us if your schedule allows.
5. School Council: Monday, February 27 in our school library at 7:00PM. We look forward to seeing you there!
6. School Lockdown Practice. As part of our emergency procedures practices, we are required to practice lockdown drills.
Application to our Spanish bilingual program, kindergarten and grade 1 is now closed. A lottery for all available spaces was held on February 15th. Applicants will be contacted the week of February 21 as to the status of their application.
Applicants for this program who apply after February 15th will be placed on our contact list.
Regular Program Kindergarten, Grade 1, and 2 (and grade 3, 2017-18)
While we currently do not offer these grades at WO Mitchell, due to lack of interest from designated families, we continue to accept registrations for all these grades for the upcoming school year. While registration for our regular program is ongoing, we have, in the past, made decisions regarding feasibility of these regular program classes by Spring Break. If you live within our regular program catchment area, kindly advise us of your intent to register for these grades by March 22, 2017 so that we are able to make decisions with the best information possible.
Open House: May 25th, 2017 at 7:00PM
An Open House will be held on May 25th, at 7:00PM for parents of successful applicants, where parents will have opportunities to participate in a school presentation focused on transitions for success, as well as meet our amazing instructional staff and members of our vibrant School Council. Parents will also have opportunities to have a guided tour of our school at this time. This will be an adult only evening.
New students will have opportunities to visit their new school, and see their new classrooms in June.
Kindergarten Registration for the 2017-18 school year begins Monday, Jan. 9, 2017. Children must be at least four years old on or before March 1 to start kindergarten in September of the same calendar year. You have to register in person at your school with proof of residence, your child's name, date of birth and citizenship. Visit the CBE Registration page for more information and for the forms you'll need. More information is available on the CBE Kindergarten page.
Parents/guardians: Due to Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL), if you want to keep receiving electronic messages from our school on commercial topics such as student fees and field trip costs, you need to subscribe online.
In addition, if you want to receive any text messages from our school, you need to opt-in by texting the word YES to the six-digit number 724665.