About Our School
I would like to welcome the students and parents to Ethel M Johnson School for this school year. Ethel M Johnson has a rich history dating back over 40 years and is proud to serve the students of Southwood, Canyon Meadows, Silverado and communities in South Calgary who attend one of our special education system classes. We are proud of the tradition of learning that is carried on by our staff at EMJ School. Our motto is Together we learn, grow and inspire the best in ourselves and others. These words guide students and staff in our work each day. Ethel M Johnson is a dynamic and caring learning community that accepts and celebrates diversity in learning. Thank-you for choosing the Calgary Board of Education and Ethel M Johnson School for your children. I encourage you to join us in meeting the academic, social and emotional needs of your children in Educating Tomorrow’s Citizens Today.
T. McIvor, Principal
Our mission at Ethel M. Johnson School is to facilitate continuous student learning and development. We recognize and value individual differences in students and strive to provide for their diverse learning needs. In cooperation with the home, we promote children's intellectual, social, emotional, creative, and physical development.
- That all children can learn and succeed, although not in the same way or at the same time
- In early identification and provision for learning differences
- That all experiences should contribute to student's self-esteem
- That the better we understand quality learning, the greater are the opportunities for individual student growth
- That an in-depth knowledge of curriculum will benefit the learner
- That an environment of collegiality and collaboration enhances teaching and learning
- That mutual respect fosters positive student-teacher relationships
To build a collaborative, collegial learning community founded on our beliefs that students learn best:
- In an atmosphere that is positive, caring, and supportive.
- When they have opportunities for success and for development of a positive self-concept.
- Through a variety of experiences that address a variety of learning styles.
- When they are actively engaged in purposeful, meaningful learning.
- When they are encouraged to take responsibility and ownership for their learning.
- When their teachers are knowledgeable and committed and participate in shared decision making and leadership responsibilities.
Together we learn, grow and inspire the best in ourselves and others.