NEW SCHOOL COUNCIL WEBSITE!
Click on this link to see our new website: http://wdsparents.ca/
Every parent whose child attends West Dalhousie School is a member of the school council. The West Dalhousie School Council meets once a month on the first Thursday of the month between 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. in the school library.
At every School Council Meeting, we have reports of any new items from the various committees including Special Events, Treasurer, Naturalization, and Volunteer Committees. As well, the Administration keeps parents up-to-date on any news in the Message from School. Any parent is welcome to bring any appropriate ideas, concerns, or topics to the School Council Meeting for discussion.
The School Council is also committed to parent education and sponsors special evenings for parents to learn more about the school's approach to teaching students.
Please feel free to come join us on the first Thursday of every month. All parents are welcome!
The mission of our School Council is to foster the well-being and effectiveness of our school and community and to enhance student learning.
We see our school as a vibrant, welcoming community where every child is actively engaged in learning and in developing the skills he or she will require to become a contributing member of society.
The objectives of the School Council, in keeping with the School Act and the School Councils Regulation, are as follows:
- To stimulate meaningful involvement by all members of the school community
- To facilitate cooperation among all the concerned participants of the school community
- To support an approach to schooling in which decisions are made cooperatively wherever possible
- To keep the School Board informed, in cooperation with the Principal, of the needs of the school
- To facilitate communication with all educational stakeholders and the community
- To promote the school in the Community
- To support the school in its efforts to meet, and exceed wherever possible, the standards of education set by Alberta Learning
- To provide input to the staff and principal on issues of importance such as
- the school philosophy, mission and vision
- school discipline policies
- programs and directions
- budget allocations to meet student needs
- To facilitate the development of a common vision for our school
- To provide advice on the maintenance and use of the facilities by the community with the CBE policy
- To consult with administration regarding possible selection criteria for school staff, recognizing that there are some constraints originating from the Calgary Board of Education
- To advise administration regarding methods of reporting student achievement in concert with the expectations set by the Calgary Board of Education
- To advise on adjustments to school hours, calendar and attendance procedures
- To coordinate any fundraising activities in the school
- To provide opportunities for the community to learn about educational philosophy and practices
- To encourage and support extra-curricular activities offered in the school