About Our School
Douglas Harkness School is located in the northeast community of Pineridge, serving the community of Pineridge. Students from Douglas Harkness School move on to Clarence Sansom for Grades 7 to 9 and then on to either Lester B. Pearson or James Fowler for High School.
Our mission at Douglas Harkness School is to foster a school culture that honors diversity and encourages students to become lifelong learners and contributing members of society.
Building Peaceful Communities Together
Our School's Three Pillars
In meeting the needs of each individual student, school expectations emphasize
socially responsible behaviour that includes respect for the rights and well‐being
of others, property and self. Discussions with children will center on three pillars.
Take Care of Yourself
Take Care of Others
Take care of Our Place
School Pillar ~ Take Care of Yourself
- Be punctual for classes and attend school regularly.
- Be organized and return notices promptly.
- Be accountable for absences and tardiness as required by our school.
- Be clean and tidy, both in personal care and dress.
- Be prepared for engaging in studies.
- Be responsible and use appropriate language in school, on the playground and on field trips.
School Pillar ~ Take Care of Others
- Be kind and courteous to classmates.
- Tell an adult when you see an injury or witness verbal or physical attacks.
- Be responsible for maintaining a non‐threatening, non‐violent environment.
- Be respectful to all school staff, adults and visitors.
School Pillar ~ Take Care of Our Place
- Be respectful of public property, community and personal property.
- Place litter in the garbage cans by the school doors.
- Be responsible for the payment or replacement of school property that has
been lost or damaged.
- Remove wet and dirty footwear.
- Reduce daily waste by bringing lunches and snacks in recyclable