1. Grade 3 Provincial Achievement Test Practice Online - The Alberta Government now makes previous years' tests available for extra practice. Students may try these old tests as part of their year end review and preparation for those scheduled this year.
2. Little Explorers Dictionary - The Enchanted Learning website offers a fun, interactive picture dictionary that allows young students to explore on the internet.
3. Giggle Poetry - This website offers lots of fun poetry for all ages. You can even share what you think of a poem by rating it. In the "Poetry Class", students can learn how to write different kinds of poems.
4. Star Fall - This website is wonderful for learning to read. Check out all the letters and their sounds!
5. Interesting Things for ESL Students - This site offers many online activities for students who are learning English as a Second Language. It is also a site that will appeal to English speaking students as lots of the activities are fun for everyone. I suggest you check out the "hangman", the "scrambled sentences", the "scrambled words" and the "computer assisted writing" activities.
6. Between the Lions - This website is based on the popular television series, and it has many online stories and related games to help get children excited about reading.
7. Teaching Books - Check out the many links to authors' personal websites! Also take in a book reading here! You can also watch video clips of authors and illustrators as they discuss their books.
8. Look, Cover, Write and Check - This website by Ambleside Primary, in England, allows students to practice their SPELLING ONLINE. There are many prepared lists to practice, or students can simply enter their own spelling words by double clicking on each of the words in the main list and typing in a new word to replace it. Students can set up their spelling list and then click "GO". Students look at the word, read it, and spell it aloud. Then click "COVER". They then type the word into the box provided and click "CHECK". If the student has spelled the word correctly, the next word on the list will be given. If not, it will ask the student to try again.
9. Spelling with Spellits- This website by the BBC allows students to practice their spelling online. There are three different games available which introduce students to many spelling patterns and rules. For instance, students learn when to "change the Y to I and add ES". As students work through each of the games, they collect clues on their Clue List to achieve a goal at the end of all the lessons. Students should print a Clue List recording sheet prior to starting each of the three games. There is a different Clue List sheet for each game.
10. Student Dictionary - This website, by Merriam Webster, allows students to look up word meanings while online.
11. Fact Monster Dictionary - This website, by Pearson Education, provides an online dictionary for searching word definitions.
11. The Mitten Webquest - This webquest is a fun way to incorporate the winter thematic unit, a science discussion of the way some animals survive wintertime, and an author study of Jan Brett. This unit was designed for first graders but it can easily be adapted for use in other grade levels.