What's Been Happening at Louise Dean | Upcoming Events | Community Events | Resources
Indigenous Student Support:
Teachers, Jill Zimmer and Abitha Thomas, are available for additional student support. Students are provided with support in terms of academic help in their courses and scholarship applications. Students can book regular times throughout the day to access support or simply ask us as needed. If you have questions or specific requests please contact us at: 403-777-7630 ext.2008 or email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
What's been happening at Louise Dean
- Talking Circle – Every 2nd Thursday from 11:55 – 12:35
- Indigenous Arts and Crafts.
- Discussions relating to Indigenous issues.
- Meetings with staff, guest speakers, and Elders.
- Connections to community resources and programs.
What’s happening in our community?
Powwows in Blackfoot Territory
- July – Calgary Exhibition and Stampede, Calgary (1-800-661-1260)
- July – Kainai Indian Days, Standoff Alberta (403-653-4516 or 403 737-2888)
- July – Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump Annual Powwow (403-553-2731)
- July – Tsuu T’ina Indian Days and Rodeo (403-281-4455)
- August - Peigan Indian Days, Brocket Alberta (403-965-3940)
- August – Heart Butt, Montana (406-338-7276)
- August – Browning Indian Days, Montana (406-338-7276)
- August – Siksika Fair (403) 734-5100
- September – Stoney Indian Days, Morley Alberta (403-881-3770)
Additional Indigenous Resources
Department of Indian and Northern Affairs Canada website: http://www.ainc-inac.gc.ca/
Calgary Board of Education Aboriginal Education Program website: https://www.cbe.ab.ca/programs/supports-for-students/Pages/Aboriginal-Education.aspx
| King Edward Centre
t | 403-817-7664
f | 403-777-8862
- Aboriginal Education Liaison Services
- Aboriginal Studies Program
Aboriginal Futures Career & Training Center
|200 – 6011 1A Street S.W.
t | 403-253-5311
- Individual job searches, Training opportunities, Resumes, career planning
- Tradewinds – Aboriginal support in trades
- Job maintenance counselling
Awo Taan Healing Lodge website: http://www.awotaan.org
|PO Box 6084, Station A
403-531-1972 or 403-531-1976
403-531-1970, ext 210 or 211
- Crisis Shelter (up to 21 days)
- Advocacy/counselling support
- Elders/healing circles/access to seats
- Food and basic necessities
- Outreach services
- Family Violence Prevention workers
Calgary Aboriginal Headstart
Healthy Children and Youth
Public Health Agency of Canada
t | 403-248-0824
e | email@example.com
- Aboriginal youth program development;
- assist agencies through partnership and community events to promote Aboriginal youth issues;
- Advocacy for Aboriginal youth;
- Lobby for the issues of concern to Aboriginal youth;
- Aboriginal youth training, development and leadership.
Urban Society for Aboriginal Youth (USAY)
615 Macleod Trail SE Ste: #1109
t | 403-233-8225
w | www.usay.ca
- Contemporary and traditional instruction for children aged 3 – 4.
- Certified E.C.S. program for children who are five years old.
Boys and Girls Club - Community Services
731-13 Avenue N.E.
Calgary AB T2E 1C8
t | 403-276-9981
w | www.calgaryboysandgirlsclub.ca
- A variety of cultural, social, educational and recreational programs for Aboriginal youth and their families;
- Aboriginal - Drama Club; Art Program; Elder Outreach; Reading/Homework Club; Traditional Dancing and Drumming.
- Aboriginal youth leadership training resource and referral information.
Metis Calgary Family Services
|352 Sunvale Dr. SE
t | 403-240-4642
w | www.mcfs.ca
- Free Tutoring Wednesday Evening 5:30 – 7:70
- Elder and Youth consultation/counselling
- Aboriginal youth mentors
- Summer youth media literacy program
Mount Royal University Iniskim Centre
Mount Royal College
4825 Richard Road SW
Located in Room C201, above Starbucks at the East Gat
- Cultural spiritual and academic advising
- Counselling, Tutoring
- Resource room, Computer lab
Bow Valley College – Aboriginal Center
332 – 6 Ave SE
t | 403-4101786
- Supports for Aboriginal Students
- Elder Sessions
- Provides advocacy for Metis and First Nations band funding