Summer School Program
Welcome to 2019 Summer School at Louise Dean School
July 2 - July 26, 2019
Monday – Friday
New students are welcome! Summer School is a great opportunity to give a new high school a chance. If you are pregnant or parenting and age 19 or under, you are eligible to attend. The school has onsite childcare for children less than 18 months of age.
Please call 403-777-7630 to register.
95% attendance is required to be successful in summer school
The unique summer school program at Louise Dean School offers:
Courses to be announced! As well as:
- on-site childcare at our three accredited Learning Centres; students are eligible for childcare subsidy
- onsite counselling and lifestyle support through our partner agency Catholic Family Service
- onsite support from a Best Beginning nurse for issues related to pregnancy and infant care
- support for needs related to housing, food and general and financial security
- pregnant or parenting students can access the Learner Benefit which is the provincial government support program specialized funding for pregnant and parenting teens; students must sign up in advance and guarantee excellent attendance
- if you attend full-time in July then you can be eligible for a full Learner Benefit payment in August
- a free breakfast and subsidized hot lunch program
- high quality learning opportunities supported by low teacher: student ratios
- earn seven high school credits in one month of full days
Who is eligible to attend?
- New registrations are welcome for Summer School, but we ask that you please try to register by early June so that timetables are secured. New registrants may be currently registered with the CBE or come in as a new CBE registration.
- If you are currently registered at Louise Dean School or are registered for the fall, you are welcome to register for courses.
- If you are on the Learner Benefit, two courses are required to receive funding. This means, one 5 credit course in the morning and a two or three credit class in the afternoon
- Pregnant or parenting teens are welcome to apply in person by setting a meeting with a member of the admin team (403-777-7630).
Will I be successful in summer school?
- Attendance: This program is offered over 20 days, so each day is like five days during the school year! Missing a day of summer school is like missing a week of school.
- Good use of class time: Keep up with your homework. Our teachers are here to support student achievement and they will ensure that you have a personalized work schedule in place.
Attendance! Attendance! Attendance! If you get behind in your classes, there is simply no time to recover.
90% attendance is required to pass these courses so please have back-up childcare in place.
What courses will be offered?
Final determination of courses will be made in June and will be based on students’ learning needs.
How do I know if I qualify for Learner Benefit funding?
- Contact the Office at 403-777-7360 and ask to set up an information gathering appointment.
- Students who receive the Learner Benefit must demonstrate a strong commitment to their education, as this funding will cover your basic expenses.
- You are a good candidate if your attendance is above 80%, you are working to pass all of your courses and you are moving your life forward towards graduation and post-secondary training.
- If you have been out of school for a length of time and will not be able to earn 100 graduating credits before you ‘age-out’, you are still eligible for the Learner Benefit.
- Learner Benefit pays students for both July and August if they attend the Louise Dean Summer School.
Louise Dean Summer School…
- 20 days of school
- Earn 6 to 8 credits!
- Stay connected with friends and teachers
- Great childcare