Overview | Assessment | Humanities Team | Events |
Humanities unite the natural links that exist between the Language Arts curriculum and the Social Studies curriculum. The rationale for this approach, which is based in current educational research and practice, is that the 6 Language Arts strands: reading, writing, listening, speaking, viewing and representing are best realized when they are context based. The contexts for these areas of understanding will be through a blend of history-themed literature and the learner outcomes from the Social Studies Curriculum. Humanities approaches literacy through mediums such as short stories, novels, film, and composition of written work from both the English and Social Studies disciplines.
- Grade 7 – Humanities 7 develops concepts of one’s citizenship and identity through the exploration of how Canada came to be the country it is today
- Grade 8 –Humanities 8 develops student’s concept of Worldview through exploration of Renaissance, Japan, and Aztec societies.
- Grade 9 –Humanities 9 develops student’s understanding of Quality of Life through exploration of Canada’s political process, themes of governance, citizenship, rights, and identity. Students will also explore issues of economics in Canada and the United States and how they contribute to Quality of Life.
Assessment, both formative and summative is ongoing in the Humanities classroom. These are the following stems that your assessment is based upon:
- Reads to explore, construct, and extend understanding
- Writes to develop, organize, and express information and ideas
- Manages and evaluates ideas and information
- Constructs meaning and makes connections through speaking
- Represents ideas and creates understanding through a variety of media
- Constructs meaning and makes connections through listening
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of citizenship and identity
- Explores events and issues from different points of view Demonstrates skills and processes for inquiry and research
- Communicates ideas in an informed and persuasive manner
Webmaster: K. Brown
September 13, 2017