Louis Riel School: Digital Technology Acceptable Use Policy (Updated:December 2016)
All members of our school community are expected to be digital citizens who demonstrate respect, responsible behavior and overall good character when using technology and/or engaging in online activities. The use of technology is an integral part of teaching and learning at our school. Teachers and students use digital technologies to access information, communicate ideas, and demonstrate fundamental understandings.
Students may use their own devices, at their teacherís discretion, to personalize their learning in the classroom, interfacing through Learner Accessible Wireless Network (LAWN). The use of personal devices by students with the guidance of parents and teachers will assist in addressing individual student preferences and needs for learning.
All students are expected to follow school guidelines for Acceptable use of Electronic Devices and Networked Information Resources (AR 1062) with both school-owned and student-owned devices.
The following activities are inappropriate for students
- Use of electronic/digital devices (cell phones, computers, cameras, etc.) in gym change rooms or washrooms at any time.
- Sending or displaying offensive messages or pictures/images
- Using obscene language, harassing, insulting or attacking others
- Any online behaviour that negatively impacts the school environment
- Intentionally damaging computer equipment/school technology, the network or other peopleís digital work
- Trespassing into other peopleís folders, work, or files
- Intentionally using technology on non-teacher-approved activities
- Using electronic media for plagiarizing
- Modifying backgrounds and/or relocating, deleting or adding applications on shared school technology (iPads, tablets, Chromebooks)
- Breaching copyright law and/or failing to follow fair dealing guidelines - See relevant sections of Copyright Matters!
- Sharing or distributing digital recordings, audio or visual via the Internet or through social networking sites, without written permission from the content creators
- Using cell phones to make calls, text, engage in social media activities, play games etc, during instructional times (parents who wish to communicate with their children during class time should go through the office, as texting and phone calls are not permitted during instructional time).
Appropriate Times for Use of Personal Electronic Devices:
K-6 are permitted to use personal electronic devices with teacher permission. Permission is required during the lunch hour and recess
7-9 are permitted to use personal electronic devices before school and during breaks as well as in class, under teacherís direct supervision
If a student fails to abide by Louis Rielís Acceptable Use Policy, parents/guardians will be notified and the student may receive one or all of the following disciplinary actions:
Confiscation of Personal Electronic Device
Immediate and possible revocation of computer privileges (including, but not limited to, student email, D2L, Edmodo, Google Drive, LAWN access and use of school technology)
Charged to repair or replace damaged equipment
It is at the discretion of individual teachers to allow personal electronic devices in the classrooms. Personal electronic devices are only allowed in classrooms when a teacher explicitly permits their use. At all other times they need to remain in lockers or backpacks.Devices can be confiscated at any time if they are deemed to be used inappropriately. For repeated offences parents may be required to pick up electronic devices from the school and/or students will lose their electronic device privileges. Students are responsible for their own personal electronic devices at all times. Louis Riel School and its staff are not responsible for lost or damaged personal electronics, no matter the circumstance.