Welcome to the Simon Fraser Middle School School Web Site. Simon Fraser Middle School School is a dynamic, progressive learning community. We value academic success with tremendous support from all stakeholders in the learning community. Our students excel in academics, fine and practical arts, and athletics. They exhibit tremendous empathy and respect for others and demonstrate appreciation for opportunities for enrichment. Please visit our School Profile for more detail. Some of the highlights include:
- Academic Core subjects are the centre of a very active and vital school program. Literacy initiatives permeate all programs and disciplines, and include a daily Reading Program, and a focus on Resource, ESL and mainstream programs. Reading comprehension is measured and monitored using Jerry Johns, Gates Mc Ginity and the Canadian Test of Basic Skills assessment on groups of students annually.
- Simon Fraser houses one AISI Learning Leader who will focus on Assessment; we also house two System AIM Mental Health classes.
- We continue to offer daily Physical Education for all students; we believe that healthy lifestyles facilitate healthy minds.
- Outdoor Education and Off-site Programs form a major part of Simon Fraser's culture. Programs include grade 7 Kananaskis Environmental trip, grade 8 Badlands/Tyrell Museum Program, grade 9 Riverwatch, grade 9 S.A.L.T.S. and S.E.A. Westcoast Sailing, and a comprehensive Outdoor Ed Curriculum; grade 7, 8, & 9 Band Camps and Tour; Student Leadership Camps and our annual Quebec trip.
- The International Language of choice at Simon Fraser is French and is compulsory for grade 7 and 8 students.
- Fine and Practical Arts are a primary focus, with a comprehensive program in place that includes celebrations and performances that incorporate Decidedly Jazz Danceworks, a Christmas Fine Arts Celebration, our Lollapolooza Extravaganza, and ongoing Band, Drama, and Dance performances. This year's production is The Tap Dance Kid.
- Our Peace Initiatives Program – a comprehensive anti-harassment program involving student workshops and conferences, guest speakers, performances, staff development, home room activities and trips – has been recognized with the prestigious YMCA Peace Medal Award (Nov '04), and by Peaceful Schools International (Feb '05).
- Our Student Leadership – Student Activities Program empowers students to lead and develop school activities year-round. We have incorporated two Leadership Development Camps per year.
At Simon Fraser we celebrate the diverse strengths, talents and challenges of each student and we strive to work in partnership with parents to create a sense of safety, belonging, and success for every individual.
Welcome to our school!