Welcome to Dr. Egbert! We are happy that you have chosen to attend our school and we
trust that the years that you spend here will be effective in preparing you to enter high
school. One of our goals is to help you gain greater independence in your learning.
Our staff wants you to be successful in junior high and is dedicated to working with you and
your parents to achieve this goal.
Dr. Gladys M. Egbert
Dr. Gladys Egbert was a talented musician and piano teacher. She was born in 1897 in
Brandon, Manitoba. Gladys moved to Calgary at the age of two, started music lessons at
six and at age 12 won a three year scholarship to the Royal Academy of Music in London.
Dr. Egbert was the first Canadian and the youngest student to ever win such a scholarship.
She continued her studies in New York until her father’s death in 1919. At this time she
turned down the chance of a concert career and returned to Calgary to look after her
mother. Gladys became a dedicated music teacher for more than 50 years in Calgary. Her
students were regular winners at the Calgary and Alberta music festivals.
- Everyone has the ability to learn and the right to be educated to their fullest
- Everyone has the right to an environment that is conducive to learning.
- Strong relationships are the foundation of effective teaching and successful
- Through teamwork we promote and develop good citizenship.
- It is our role to foster the emotional, social and physical well being of the members
of our community.
Dr. Egbert will empower students to learn to the best of their ability, to develop emotionally
and physically, and to contribute meaningfully to society.
Dr. Egbert will empower students to learn to the best of their ability, to develop emotionally and physically, and to contribute meaningfully to society.
"Creating quality learning for a lifetime"