Contact: Mr. J. Black / Mrs. T. Hillard
At Clarence Sansom, we strive to provide each student with opportunities for growth and success. In addition to their academic and complementary courses, students have access to a variety of programs and services tailored to meet their individual needs. These include:
- Resource Support
- Guidance Counselling
- English as a Second Language
- Knowledge and Employability Program
Our resource team performs the following roles:
- Helps those students encountering difficulties to cope with their program.
- Works with parents, teachers and others to help students achieve success.
- Assists teachers in each grade to formally document student progress through Individual Program Plans (I.P.P.s).
- Educational assessments of academic indicators to determine whether more in-depth, formal assessments are required.
Guidance counselling provides student support through crisis intervention, peer conflict mediation, high school transitions, outside agency referrals for students and their families, and a place to release stress and discuss problems related to school or otherwise.
A common question asked by parents is whether or not they will be notified when their child consults with a guidance counsellor about a personal matter. It is important that parents understand that a guidance counsellor’s role is governed by FOIP and the School Act. Unless concerns around personal harm surface, all information shared by the student with counsellor remains confidential.