Knowledge and Employability
What are Knowledge and Employability Courses?
Knowledge and Employability Courses are intended to provide students with opportunities to experience success and become prepared for employment, citizenship and lifelong learning.
These courses help the students to develop:
- essential skills and attitudes in preparation for success in the workplace and in the community
- a sense of success and achievement in learning experiences
- practical applications and connections to the workplace and the community
- skills related to exploring and preparing for chosen careers
- interpersonal skills to ensure respect, support, and cooperation with others.
Who should take these courses?
Knowledge and Employability Courses are designed for students with specific needs and goals including students who:
- Have demonstrated and expressed a desire to enter directly into the workplace after completing a Certificate of High School Achievement.
- Intend to use school as a place to better prepare for immediate transition into the workplace.
- Achieve success through experiential learning.
How are Knowledge and Employability Courses different from regular courses?
- Content in each course emphasizes basic skills that are essential to function in the community and in the workplace.
- Instruction in any skill begins with applications to real-life situations.
- An emphasis is place on differentiated learning experiences that suit the unique needs of the learner.
- Resources are selected on the basis of the needs, interests and skill development of the learner.
What is the Basic Credential to be awarded to students who pursue Knowledge and Employability Courses?
|REQUIREMENTS FOR A CERTIFICATE OF HIGH SCHOOL ACHIEVEMENT|
|The requirements indicated in this chart are the minimum requirements for a student to attain a Certificate of High School Achievement. The requirements for entry into post-secondary institutions and workplaces may require additional and/or specific courses.|
|80 CREDITS including the following:
|5 CREDITS IN
AND 5 CREDITS IN
|OR 5 CREDITS IN
30-level Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP) course
Can K and E Students also qualify for a diploma?
K and E students have an opportunity to obtain a high school diploma. Transfer from the Certificate of Achievement route to the diploma route should be made in consultation with the Guidance Counsellors.