CBE Inter-School Mail Tues and Fri Next Week Wed
Please ensure items are in the Mailroom by 12:00 noon
April 17, 2018
Cafeteria Supervision G. Ridout, B. Savoie
Library Supervision S. Vlietstra
· SUMMER SCHOOL INFORMATION: Students may sign up for summer school with Chinook Learning and/or CBe-Learn online beginning April 30. The required Prerequisite Information Form (PIF) may be requested from Student Services before you go to your Chinook Learning Summer School meeting; the request sheet will be available in Student Services beginning May 1.
· As a reminder to all interested students who are interested in the 2018 Western Canada Alumni Bursary applications are available in Guidance. Remember that this is primarily a scholarship based on service to community as well as financial need. Grades or average are not a determining factor. This application is due into Guidance on the 19th of April.
· Library Closures Next Week
On Tuesday, April 17, The Library will open at 10:30 am and close at 1:30 pm to accommodate ELA Grade 10 midterms in the morning and afternoon.
Test Centre will run as usual.
· Avogadro Chemistry Challenge Exam
What is it?
It’s a chemistry challenge exam put out by the University of Waterloo. There are monetary prizes for top performers. More info at https://uwaterloo.ca/chemistry/about-chemistry/community-
When are the dates?
Sign up must be done by Monday April 16th. (Beside the door to room 180)
The exam is on Thursday May 17th from 3:45-5pm.
Who can write the exam?
Students who have completed a 20 level Chemistry course (Chem 20/20IB/25IB)
BUT have NOT completed or are enrolled in a 30 level chemistry course.
Sign up is near the door to room 180.
The test will be written in the tech center, Area 2.
For the glory! For the Challenge! For the Fun!
· Attention Grads: Banquet and Dance ticket sales start on May 2nd, Organise yourselves in tables of 8 to take advantage of the advanced registration and seat selection on May 1st. For details on cost, when to request extra tickets, and meal options. To receive grad alerts via your phone, text the message @gradof2018 to (587) 801-0984 or download the app using the link rmd.at/gradof2018.
· Theatre Positions: Alberta Theatre Projects is hiring: Front of House Ushers, Ticket Takers and Bartenders at a job fair on Sunday April 22 in the Martha Cohen Theatre Lobby between 5:00pm and 7:00pm. Bring your resume & be prepared for an interview.
· Grade 12 students who will be attending post secondary school in the fall of 2018 are encouraged to apply for the WESTERN CANADA ALUMNI BURSARY. This is a $2000.00 award given to students who have displayed community leadership at Western Canada High school and require financial assistance to attend post secondary school. Please pick up applications for this traditional and prestigious award in the Guidance office. The deadline to hand the application in to Guidance is Thursday, April 19th.
· All About UBC: On Saturday, April 21st from 11am-12noon UBC will be at the Calgary TELUS Convention Centre to host All About UBC. This event is designed for high school students and their guardians who are considering applying to UBC and would like to learn more. More information and registration at http://you.ubc.ca/tours-info-sessions/visits-canada/
· Under Water Welding Presentation: Interested in learning more about a career in under water welding? On Wednesday, April 18th from 7-9pm at Crescent Heights High School (1019 – 1 Street NW) Diving Dynamics will present on this exciting and lucrative career.
· The 2018 EducationMatters’ student award competition website is now open for all Western students. There are many valuable and prestigious awards to be attained through this site. Please go to www.educationmatters.ca to see all of the various awards and scholarships that are available to you. Access to the online application system (new this year) is found on the website.
· US College Expo: SATURDAY APRIL 21, 11:00 – 2:00 at the ARTS COMMONS. For more details, go to: www.uscollegeexpo.com Representatives from US Colleges across the States will be there!