Upcoming Event: East Side Dance Festival
JFHS’s JFLY Dance Team will be participating in the East Side Dance Festival, tickets are on sale starting April 15th, the performance is May 16th & 17th at 6 PM. Click the link to purchase tickets.
Click here for more information (Poster PDF)
Dance Program News 2018
Welcome to all Gr. 10, 11 and 12 Dance students and parents! We have an exciting year ahead full of many events, trips and performances. The dance Team is a credit course that should be treated like any other course in the school. If students do not have proper attendance they will be assigned a period 5 and risk their spot in the performances.
Dance courses are designed to provide you with an opportunity to participate in various forms and aspects of dance. Dance allows you to focus on individual improvement in technique, strength, flexibility and style. To personalize your learning, you can choose from a variety of dance courses.
||Exciting Dance Info
- J-fly Dance Team was invited to the system opening event in September of 2015
- 10 lucky students were invited to “share the experience” with Alberta Ballet, where they went backstage to Ballelujah and experienced the life of a dancer on opening night.
- Field trips this year include DJD’s performance of Gravity Players and The Nutcracker in December.
- Fowler Dance has been working with DJD to choreograph an entire Act II piece with English and the ACL program.
- Click on the link from Global News: 'She came alive when she danced’: Grieving family gives opportunity to Calgary dancers
Dance 15, 25, 35
- Credits: 5 each
- successful completion 15 for 25, and 25 for 35
- Note | Dance 15 is the prerequisite for Jazz 25
- improve creative expression, self-discipline, body awareness, motor coordination, and all aspects of physical fitness such as strength, endurance, balance, agility, flexibility and grace
- think creatively and express thoughts and feelings in physical forms may include jazz (including but not limited to swing, classical, funk, hip hop ...), modern / contemporary, creative, ethno cultural (including but not limited to Latin, African, Indo-Asian, Celtic ...), choreography, and dance history
- develop confidence and stage presence through performance opportunities during the courses
- perform in the winter &/or spring dance show as a valuable component of Dance 15, 25 and 35.
Jazz Dance 25, 35 (Dance Team – outside of timetable)
- Credits: 5 each
- §successful completion of Dance 15 for the Jazz Dance 25, and the 25-level of Jazz Dance for 35
- Students must audition in September for this team. It runs all year long including through exam breaks and is a full year commitment.
There are three rounds of auditions which will be held the 3rd week of September all week long at lunch in the dance studio
Round 1 – Monday and Tuesday Student are required to prepare a one minute solo, duet or trio and sign up outside of the dance studio to audition.
Round 2 – Wednesday Students will learn a set piece of choreography
Round 3 – Thursday Students will perform the choreography in front of an audience
On Friday the J-Fly Dance team will be posted
- improve concentration and coordination through jazz progressions
- explore the process of jazz choreography based on steps acquired
- research the historical background of jazz and dance styles that affected its development
- attend outside of school performances around Calgary and area including dance festivals
- display team work, peer teaching and learning to further their leadership skills
- commit to a full year of dance outside of the regular time table