Teacher Advisory Program
The purpose of Teacher Advisory is to provide a safe environment where students interact positively with peers and their teacher advisor, who becomes an advocate for them while in turn teaching students to become self-advocates. This is accomplished through the building of relationships, supporting school culture, and improving academic achievement by aiming to improve communication, build citizenship skills, and focus on the wellbeing of our students.
This work includes:
- supporting school and community initiatives
- tracking students’ academic progress
- educating students on the importance of mental health
- providing students an opportunity to explore future education and career goals
- providing a safe environment
- positive peer and teacher relationships
- communication and working alongside parents
Every student at James Fowler is assigned a Teacher Advisory Group and remains in that group for the duration of their time here. T.A. groups meet every Friday from 10:00-10:35 am. T.A. activities include academic reviews, group activities and challenges, discussions, career development, school activities, and relationship building led by the Teacher Advisor.