Sequence of Courses
CHANGING STREAMS: Teacher recommendations are made with great care and attention. They are based upon ensuring students have the necessary foundation in place to achieve success in their registered course. Changes to this process can only be achieved through the following steps:
- Consultation with the subject teacher, Teacher Advisor, and/or Student Services.
- Teacher calls the parent
- Change Form signed if parent is in agreement.
- Department Learning Leader approval & signature, prior to any changes made.
The program content reflects the vast scope of the disciplines of history, geography, economics and social sciences at levels consistent with the maturity of the students. In order to accommodate students with a wide range of abilities, needs, interests and aspirations, two sequences for the Senior High School Social Studies Program have been developed.
- Social Studies 10-1, 20-1 and 30-1 is designed for those students who are seeking a high school diploma and who will pursue post-secondary studies at the college and/or university level.
- Social Studies 10-2, 20-2 and 30-2 is of interest to those students who are pursuing a high school diploma including those going into post secondary studies at colleges and/or trade schools, and those entering the work force.
Changes to entrance requirements mean that some post-secondary programs do not accept Social Studies 30-2. Students should check admission requirements.
Although the content, skills and attitudes are similar for both sequences, the expectations for Social Studies 10-1, 20-1, 30 are far more challenging, particularly in the depth of concept development, the level of critical and creative thinking, and inquiry skill development. The nature of the student learning resources that are approved for each sequence also differ to accommodate depth and breadth of course content as well as an increasing sophistication of reading level.
Calgary Board of Education Detailed High School Course Guide (pdf)
Social Studies 10
Social Studies 20
Social Studies 30
Geography of Canada 20
World Geography 30