Access and Responsibility
Electronic networkable devices and network access require teacher permission and supervision. Printing student work is permitted with staff permission. All students are eligible to receive a CBE e-mail account. By utilizing the school’s computers and/or the wireless network, the following agreement is accepted.
As with any personal belonging that a student brings to school, the school cannot be held responsible for electronic devices that are lost, stolen, or damaged. School tech support will not trouble shoot student devices.
Acceptable Use of Electronic Information Resources
The privilege to use devices and/or networks is dependent on the level of responsibility shown by individual students. It is our intent to have all students access these tools for learning on an ongoing basis. The following acts and prohibited sites constitute inappropriate use and may endanger students, and/or possibly damage the network, hardware, and/or software.
Prohibited acts include:
- Use of network blue cable to access school network.
- Use of someone else’s CBE account or access to network.
- Sending or displaying offensive messages or pictures.
- Using obscene language.
- Harassing, insulting or attacking another person or their reputation.
- Trespassing in other people’s folders, work or files.
- Accessing, posting, sending or downloading of inappropriate material.
- Assuming the identity of another person to gain information.
- Viewing web pages through a proxy server.
- Running an application/program from a memory stick/jump drive.
- In any way moving, opening hardware or computer accessories.
- Any attempt and/or threats to harm a person.
- Plagiarism of online content.
- Posting, publishing, circulating or distributing personal information about oneself or others without the supervision and consent of a staff member.
- Sharing of usernames and passwords for other people to use.
- Use of technology or the network to access sites/software not approved by staff.
Students must respect intellectual property and adhere to copyright, software piracy and fair dealing laws associated with learning technologies.
Prohibited Sites include:
- Vulgar or lewd depiction of the human body.
- Any content publicly labelled for adults.
- Violent acts.
- On-line gambling.
- Sites that encourage the use of illicit or illegal drugs, tobacco, weapons, or alcohol.
- Sites that advocating violence or hatred against an identifiable group. ie. race, religion, gender, disabilities, age, colour, sexual orientation, etc.
- Sites promoting criminal activity.
Each situation is dealt with on an individual basis. Breach of policy may result in:
- Police intervention and/or legal action.
- School based disciplinary consequences as per posted user agreement.
- Restrictions or loss of computer/personal electronic devices and/or network access privileges as per the following:
Any computer vandalism requires administration involvement. Cost of replacement and/or labour and parts to repair the school computer/technology may be charged to the student.
1st Offence - The student is given a warning if engaging in any computer and/or website use deemed inappropriate by the supervising teacher, which will be recorded in the student’s record.
2nd Offence - The student will receive an internet suspension for five days, which will be recorded in the student’s record.
3rd Offence - Student internet access will be suspended for the remainder of the term. The suspension will be recorded in the student’s record.