Student Services (Guidance)
Thinking about DROPPING a class? Please read the Course Drop Procedure first!
Who are we?
We consist of a full-time guidance secretary available to answer questions and four full time counsellors.
|Counsellor:||Mr. Garry Oakes (A-G)||Counsellor:||Mrs. Leslie Mitchell (H - L & International Students A-Z)|
|Counsellor & LL of Student Services:||Mrs. Kim Alladin (M-R, T)|
|Counsellor:||Mr. Mike Fullerton (S, U-Z)|
|Guidance Secretary:||Mrs. Melanie Austin|
In addition and new this year, we have Mr. Lorne Jones in the Guidance Office who will take care of Work Experience and Scholarship Information for students.
Lastly, we have a school psychologist, Ms. Harnisha Nathoo. She is available all day on Thursdays and Fridays in Rm 107B, next to the Social Studies Dept. She offers assessments, individual counseling, one-time consultations and group work to students. She will also be offering Study Skills workshops this semester and Stress Management workshops for all CALM students. You may access her services through your guidance counsellor.
Where are we located and what are your hours?
We are located behind the main office. Just walk though the front doors, head down the hallway to the left of the office (affectionately known as the "zebra hallway") due to the mural on the wall. Our office door is the 4th door to the right in the hallway and clearly marked.
Guidance counsellors are available from 8:30 AM until 4:00 PM Monday through Thursday and from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM on Friday.
What services do we provide?
Guidance Counsellors can:
- resolve, deal with or mediate any personal or family issues
- provide you with outside agency support or referral
- help you to choose a career path
- aid you in course selection that matches your goals and ensure graduation
- help provide access to academic help
- provide detailed post secondary information and entrance requirements
- inform and assist with scholarship, bursary, grant or loan requirements for post secondary education
Additionally, remember that we have Mr. Jones to help with your scholarship research and application needs, as well as the services of Ms. Nathoo as a professional psychologist.
When can I see a counsellor?
We want students to get to know their counsellors BEFORE problems arise. Students are encouraged to book a time for any reason and make use of the many services offered, or at least find out who their counsellor is and introduce yourself. No reason is too small or too great to see a counsellor!
You can come to the Student Services Office to book an appointment t the following times:
- Before school (starting at 8:00AM)
- After school (until 3:45 PM)
- At lunch time
- During your spare period
- Note: Friday office hours are 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Do I need an appointment?
To consult with the counsellors about academic, social, vocational, and personal matters, students are encouraged to make an appointment in Student Services. For more information, see the section below. However, we are now accepting a certain amount of Drop-in Appointments!
Drop-in Appointments can occur Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 8:30 – 9:00 AM. These appointments are available to students who only need a few minutes of their counsellor’s time, or for last minute needs.
What do I need to know about scheduling an appointment?
- Appointments can be scheduled to a maximum of 10 calendar days in advance.
- You must wear your lanyard at all times; especially when scheduling an appointment.
- You can only book an appointment at the times specified under the section above entitled "When can I see a councellor".
- Full appointments are scheduled with Mrs. Morrissette (Guidance Secretary) in person at Student Services.