The Science Café is a relaxed and friendly place to join in discussions with leading scientific experts, teachers, parents and friends, while listening to live music and enjoying some free café food. Come and join us – all are welcome!
Topics are listed below as well as dates and times. Come out and join teacher sponsors Mr Dave Nickell and Ms. Nancy Rehder as they host a night of science and fun.
Mr. Dave Nickell and Ms. Nancy Rehder
Dates and Topics
Stayed tuned for exciting topics coming in 2013:
(1) Dreams: Why do we have them? What evolutionary advantage to they offer?
(2) Stem cell research: Learn more about stem cell lines using adult cells rather than embryonic ones.
- build relationships between staff/students/parents/science community
- motivate and engage student learning
- connect classroom learning with real life applications
- increase depth of understanding
- provide opportunity to question science facts and ethics
- prepare students for science-related decisions in everyday living
- stimulate student career choices
- highlight and reflect on recent scientific advancements
- encourage an attitude that science as an exciting and necessary life long learning endevour
- improve student communication skills
- 10 minutes - puzzle challenge and discussion at tables
- 20 minutes -2 experts with different perspectives summarize their research
- 10 minutes - food and talk
- 45 minutes - students ask questions and discuss issues under the direction of a teacher moderator
- 15 minutes - informal discussion at tables
We sincerely thank the University of Calgary's Faculty of Medicine for financial sponsorship this 2012-13 school year.
Updated: December 7, 2012