Welcome to Alternative High School
- The Alex Youth Bus will be at Alternative High School every second Wednesday starting on Wednesday September 24, 2014. Please sign up in Main Office or in the Guidance office.
- A reminder our next PD day will be on Friday November 21st so there is no school for all students.
- Schedule for Wednesday November 26, 2014 Period 1 8:55-9:30 Period 2 9:30-10:05 BREAK 10:05-10:10 Mentor 10:10-10:15 Board Buses for Christmas Carol at 10:15. Dismissal from Theatre Calgary will happen after Q&A at 2:00 PM
- Friday November 28 Schedule Period 3 8:55-10:10 Period 4 10:15-11:30
- Parent Letter | Consider the Alternative
- Application to Alternative High School Information
- Guidance Announcements | 2014/2015
- School Development Plan 2013-14 | view other publications
- School Calendar for 2014/15
- Timetable for 2014/15, Focus Fridays Period 1 8:55-10:10, Period 2 10:15-11:30 Lunch 11:30-12:00, Mentor 12:00-1:00, DGM 1:00-2:00
- School Council Minutes | September 2014
- Newsletter | October 2014
October has met us with some nice fall weather. I hope that the dramatic snow storm in September did not cause too much stress to our families. I have appreciated the welcome I have received from students, parents/guardians, staff and community members. The patience folks have afforded to me has been much appreciated and is a true example of us living through our actions the Circle of Courage particularly in the Spirits of Generosity and Belonging. It is of great value that opportunities presented throughout our lives offer us continued growth and build on our previous knowledge. It is the welcoming of these opportunities in our lives, as opposed to shying away from these opportunities due to fear of failure, lack of confidence, or a perception that there is not the support available to us that we require that we develop our self confidence. In the spirits of Mastery and Independence, this is an aspect of school that we all should embrace as we strive to develop our capacities as lifelong learners.
Many folks that have had experiences with Alternative High School over many years have lamented the change in practice from the Annual Camp Out to Alternative High School Spirit Days. Our first Spirit Day was reflected in the Spirit of Belonging as members of the Alternative High School community spent time at Cobb’s Corn Maze. Approximately 65% of our student population was able to attend. This about equal to attendance at the Annual Camp Out. Students who attended spoke about how great the experience was and this excitement will certainly translate to an even greater number of students participating in our next Spirit Days; Thursday December 04, 2014 – Mountain Exploration – Independence, Friday March 06, 2015 – Super Cool Fun Day – Generosity & Thursday May 14, 2015 – Camp Adventure – Mastery. A reminder to students and parents that these are considered regular school days and part of the Alternative High School Program therefore it is expected that students attend.
Parent/Guardian involvement on School Council is very much appreciated. School Council meetings are scheduled for the third Thursday of each month from 5:00 to 6:30. Our first School Council meeting was Thursday September 25. I thank all parents that came to this meeting for their commitment to the students at Alternative High School. It was very apparent at that meeting that we are blessed with some very dedicated and talented parents and community members. What was equally apparent is that we need many more parents and community members to attend. The next meeting is Thursday, October 23, 2014 at 6:30 pm. The commitment is very minimal if the membership is sufficient, strength in numbers, so please come out if you are able.
I look forward to our continued work together. Please do not hesitate to connect with me at the school at anytime.
Mr. Don Barbor
Alternative High School
|Next Informational Sessions
Friday December 12, 2014
Friday January 9, 2015
Friday January 16, 2015
Held on Fridays starting at 12:00 PM
Call Ginette at 403-777-7730 to register
Upcoming Post Seconday Open Houses
ACAD Saturday November 22, 2014
Parent Association and School Council General Meetings 2014-15
All meetings start at 6:00 p.m. and will be held on Thursdays of each month.
Next Meeting: November 27th
Parent Advisory: 6:00 PM
School Council: 7:00 PM
If you are interested in joining the School Council please come to a meeting. Click here for more information.