May 17, 2011
The first adventure for the CT Center at the Provincial Skills Canada Competition in the Hairstyling Intermediate Competition was exciting and very educational for our student Michelle Dueck. Michelle shares her experience; “The provincial skills competition gave me a chance to look at all the talent and creativity there is not only in the hair industry, but in all the trade areas. The amount of talent and passion at the Skills has motivated me to work even harder and to continue in Cosmetology-hairstyling. I have met many outstanding people who have proven to me that enthusiasm and dedication pay off. I hope to be going to the Provincial Skills Competition next year in the senior division”.
The purpose of these competitions is to enable industry to view the level of skill taught within the secondary institutions, and encourage interaction between the two sectors. This working relationship will help ensure that the skills students gain in secondary education meet the demands of industry. The competition also challenges students in hairstyling and promotes this career area.
The 2 day Hairstyling Competition includes 3 levels of Hairstyling Skill Competition:
- The Junior Level is for students in Grade 10 & 11 only and includes a creative braid performed on a long hair mannequin. All judging is performed according to the Master Judges System and all the Judges are from the Master Judges Program in Canada.
- The Intermediate Level is for students in Grade 11 & 12 only and allows young up and coming stylists to demonstrate their technical skills and creative ability in the Creative Bridal Style (Long Hair) Evening. All judging is performed according to the Master Judges System and all the Judges are from the Master Judges Program in Canada.
- The Senior & Post Secondary Level are separately judged competitions and allow the young up and coming stylists to demonstrate their technical skills and creative ability in the following four tests over 2 full days:
- Ladies Creative Day Style with Color Enhancement
- Ladies Hair by Night with Hairpieces and Ornamentation
- Men’s Progressive Cut, Color, Style
- Men’s Classical Sculptured Cut (Bombage) & Style with Beard Design
All judging is performed according to the Master Judges System and all the Judges are from the Master Judges Program in Canada.
What an incredible experience for students to see provincially and then nationally what is happening and expected in the industry. Both Jodi Sillker-Nordquist (Gold Level) (hairstylist Instructor) at the CT Center and Sandra Alexcae Moren (Lifetime Status) are Members of the Master Judges Panel of Canada and former competitors and coaches.
While at the Provincial Skills Canada Competition Sandra did all the saging for all the competitions other than Michelle’s competition for the 2 days, and Michelle watched the Senior Competition and got to meet the competitors who won the competitions- building relationships and sharing is what this industry is all about-even in competition. Michelle got to personally meet the 3 Master Judges who judged her competition.
We are very honoured and extremely excited that Jodi Sillker-Nordquist has been invited to Judge the Post-Secondary Hairstyling National Skills Competition in June 2011 in Quebec City. The winner of the Post-Secondary Hairstyling Nationals goes to compete in London, England at the World Skills Competition on October 4, 2012. Jodi will have the pleasure of assisting in deciding on who that young competitor will be! Sandra was very excited to see that her Grade 10 student, a young man from Bev Facey in Sherwood Park- is the gold medalist who will be competing in Quebec City hoping to go to London, England where he was born!
Watch for all the exciting details Jodi has to share from Quebec City and we are getting students prepared for next year’s Skills adventure!