- a parent who intends to provide a home schooling program for their child during a school year works with the Calgary Board of Education.
- a parent is required to offer a program that has been accepted by the Calgary Board of Education and aligns with the Calgary Board of Education Learning Plan.
- families participate in prescribed reviews by the Calgary Board of Education a minimum of 2 times a year.
- the Calgary Board of Education ensures that the student is meeting designated outcomes and that assistance and advice from facilitators is provided, that records are provided and maintained, and that parents are aware of the services and resources available.
roles and responsibilities
Parents are responsible for student learning
The parent is responsible for curricular choices while ensuring that the program is consistent with the student learning outcomes listed in the Alberta Regulation 145/2006 Home Education Regulation or the Alberta Program of Studies. Assessment is parent-directed according to the child’s needs.
Evaluation of the child’s progress is done a minimum of twice a year where a certificated teacher(facilitator) evaluates the student and reviews the student portfolio.
Facilitators are certified Alberta teachers employed by the Calgary Board of Education. Their responsibilities are:
- to facilitate student learning by providing assistance and advice to the parent
- to make recommendations to the parents on matters that will assist the student in attaining a higher level of achievement
- to advise the parents on the progress of the student, based on evaluations of the progress of the student and a review of the portfolio at the end of each school term
- to collaborate with parents on maintaining records of student progress for future reference
- to indicate the services and resources provided by the Calgary Board of Education that are available for use by the parent and student.
CBE Home Education funding
All parents of students registered in the Home Schooling Program by September 30 will be eligible to receive supplemental funding, (Alberta Regulation 126/99) to augment their learning.
Parent Directed Funding
This funding is in addition to the many services available at CBE Home Education and will allow parents to access resources, services, facilities, and supplies not directly provided by CBe-learn.
Student must be registered by September 30th in order to be entitled to funding.
Parents are responsible for educational costs and may submit receipts between November 1 to April 1 for reimbursement for the current school year.
Please click here to review all of the CBE Home Education information on reimbursements.